Donny Love are nocturnal icons of the sunshine state and natural outsiders. They’ve spent several years now brooding and maturing, diligently studying their craft and carving out their own ‘Motel Bop’ sound which incorporates carnal elements of rock, jazz, new wave, pop and soul among other things. To their name so far they have an EP, singles, national tours, notable performances including Gizzfest 2017, and have shared stages with the Allah Lahs, Thee Oh Sees, Homeshake, The Growlers, Chastity Belt, Rolling Blackouts CF and The Creases.
Donny Love released their charming debut album ‘Sensation’ in May 2018, It celebrates the band’s uncompromising curiosity and their sweet and sour approach to song writing. We just can’t wait to see these dudes rocking out this Friday at Rainbow Revolution!
1) We've listened to your album, Sensation, over and over again. Every time it reveals something new to us. There's a lot going on sonically, but it's also a sound that's surprisingly concise and fluid. What's the story behind the making of the album and how did it take shape?
It was our first crack at it, we did it when some Dons' were going their separate ways in 2016 but only put it out this year. Glad it's helping you reveal yourself, thanks for the listens. It was recorded by a concise and fluid human named Julian, see question 5.
2) You've dubbed your sound as 'motel bop'. Where does that inspiration come from?
Well it seemed more evocative than Airbnb bop.
3) Your music comes across as carefree and laid-back, but there are undertones of something more sinister. Are you the dark horse of sunny Gold Coast?
We're the light horse of the shady Gold Coast.
4) In the Gold Coast, do you think music influences culture or does culture influence music?
It's a feedback loop and neither is completely true or false. Unless of course you live in a vacuum.
Here's a step by step guide from the artist's perspective:
1. Observe a certain characteristic of the cultural zeitgeist which you want to explore and comment on - eg. Crime and corruption within the local Council
2. Interrogate, fall in love with, loathe, criticise and unpack said characteristic as required until you arrive at an interesting point of opinion. Then release it back into the world. - eg. Song: Donny Love - Run For Mayor "Put my face on the billboard, I'm gonna run for Mayor. I'm charming and handsome, and I've learned to keep my pants down. I'm gonna run for Mayor."
3. If the music presents an interesting new opinion / reading it will not only be influenced by culture, but it will in-turn influence culture and thus the loop is complete. eg - Don Hog successfully runs for Mayor, and subsequently crime and corruption rates within the local Council increase four-fold.
5) We know you've supported some killer acts like The Growlers, Rolling Coastal Blackout Fever, Thee Oh Sees and more. What does it mean to you to be playing alongside all of the local acts who'll be hitting up the stage at our mini-festival, 'Rainbow Revolution' this week?
It's gonna be a hoot, here's some gossip:
Lens - Hot young boys playing some cool old riffs. Fun fact they took over our shed in the Burleigh industrial estate when we moved out - lineage baby.
Peach Fur - They played their first elsewhere show with us when they were underage and it was a time. Keep workin' hard lads.
San Mei - Always good to see GC artists levelling up and heard she and the band smoked Bigsound.
Sunrose - Coupla proficient musos with a good collective musk. Julian on keys recorded our debut album Sensation on his big sexy API console, love ya Jules.
Full circle shit!
Come on down to Rainbow Revolution at Miami Marketta this Friday 28th September to check out Donny Love! Tickets selling fast! Available here.
Photo credit: Katia Brticevich